# Thursday, November 6, 2014

If you made it through my last post, you’ll know that I recently updated a TFS 2013 RTM install to Update 2 to resolve a bug in TFS. 

During the update we have to re-apply service accounts and confirm servers etc.  At one stage we were prompted for the SQL Reporting Services Server and the reporting service password.  The issue we needed to resolve was holding up work and unfortunately we couldn’t locate the SSRS password that we needed.  I asked which was more important – getting the team working again or running reports.  The answer was obviously the former and so we took the decision to skip Reporting Services safe in the knowledge that we could deal with it later as a non-critical issue.

The next day the TFS admin had all the details he needed to re-enable reporting and got stuck into the TFS Admin Console.

MSDN: TFS 2013 - Add a report server

Edit the information to configure reporting

However, he added the server details for the data warehouse, clicked Test Connection and received the following error:

The database you specified cannot be used. The database exists, but its schema is not valid for use with Team Foundation Server.

The obvious reason for the error was that the TFS update had changed the data warehouse schema and now our existing warehouse database was out of date.

I wondered if we could update the warehouse database individually but if you understand the reporting architecture in TFS (read my other blog post if you don’t) then you’ll know that we could just blow away the existing warehouse and re-create it.  So that’s what we did, we now have the imaginatively named Tfs_Warehouse2 and Tfs_Analysis2 databases.  We hooked up reporting again, rebuilt the warehouse using the Admin Console and Bob’s your uncle.

We hit a minor snag later that the analysis database didn’t seem to have reflected the changes so we called the ProcessWarehouse web service followed by the ProcessAnalysisDatabase web service, checked everything completed successfully with the GetProcessingStatus web service (details here) and everything was working again in time for tea and biscuits!

I later found an old TFS 2010 related blog post that confirmed what had happened and that our resolution was correct.  Hurrah!

60 minutes left, let’s go for the hat-trick.

Cheers,

Richard



.

Thursday, November 6, 2014 7:30:00 PM (GMT Standard Time, UTC+00:00)  #    Comments [0]


Comments are closed.